Christmas Dinner Cooking Instructions
by Jose Luis Ponce Ramirez
FELIZ NAVIDAD/ MERRY CHRISTMAS
Thank you for letting us be in your home this Christmas. We wish you and your family a pleasant and fun meal.
- Pull your turkey out of the Fridge and set it aside for 30 minutes to make sure it’s at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven at 180C ℃ / 350 ℉, for 10 minutes while the turkey is out.
- Put the turkey in a roasting pan; loosely cover the turkey with aluminum foil and put the turkey in the middle rack to cook.
- Cook the turkey for 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165 ℉
- When the turkey reaches 130 ℉ (about an hour and a half), remove the foil and start basting every 15 minutes until golden and crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165 ℉, and the juices run clear.
- Once the turkey is cooked, remove it from the oven, cover and let it rest for at least 30 minutes
- Put all your sides in the oven for 30 minutes while the turkey rests.
- Heat the gravy in a saucepan to a low simmer, stirring often
- Carve your turkey and enjoy!
- If roasting your turkey breast side up (the “usual” way), cover the tips of the wings with foil when you start the basting, so they don’t dry out
- For an extra juicy turkey, try roasting your turkey “upside down” – place the turkey breast-side down in the roasting pan. When it reaches 130 ℉, flip the turkey over and baste it to get the golden-brown turkey breast.
- Put the mashed potatoes in an extra 15 minutes before the turkey is done, so that all the sides are done at the same time
- After the turkey is carved and Christmas dinner is done, boil the carcass and the rest of the roasted vegetables and make turkey soup for boxing day!
- Pull the pork loin out of the fridge for 30 min to make sure it’s room temperature.
- Preheat the oven at 300 ℉ / 150 ℃ for at least 10 min.
- Put the pork loin in a roasting pan uncovered.
- Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven and cook 40 min per pound or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 160 ℉.
- Remove the pork from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 min.
- Put your sides in the oven 15 min before the roast is done, and heat for 30 minutes.
- Heat the mole in a saucepan to a low simmer, stirring often.
- Slice the pork loin and enjoy!
- Add a half cup of broth (beef, pork, chicken, veggie) to the roasting pan at the start of cooking to keep the pork moist.